As an architecture business owner, you need high-quality photographs to showcase your work. However, taking good pictures of buildings and structures can be challenging, even with the right tools and equipment. Good quality architectural photographs would help architecture business owners showcase their work better to their clients, enhancing their chances of getting projects. However, your architecture business might not have the photography skills required.
This requires hiring a Sydney based architectural photographer. These photographers can come up with a stunning portfolio of your business, leveraging its growth in the architectural industry. In case you still do not wish to hire one, here are some photography tips provided for your architectural business.
- Use natural light: Natural light is one of the most important factors that can make or break a photograph’s quality. Avoid taking photos in harsh direct sunlight or at night without adequate lighting equipment, as it may create shadows and expose unwanted details. Instead, try to capture photos during the early morning or late afternoon when the sun creates soft shadows that provide depth and texture.
- Focus on interesting angles: Architectural photographers often shoot from low vantage points or include elements like reflections, shadows, lines, curves, and patterns in their compositions to add a unique perspective. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different angles and viewpoints until you find what works best for you.
- Pay attention to symmetry: Symmetry is an essential element in architecture that creates balance and harmony between an object’s proportions or design elements. To create symmetrical shots, use straight-on viewpoints to ensure even spacing so that everything appears balanced.
- Consider using tripod support: Using a tripod provides stability while capturing shots, especially in low-focus areas where shaky hands may fail you by making photographs appear blurry and out-of-focus.
- Enhance your images with post-processing software: Once you’ve captured some great architectural photos using natural light and exciting angles/tips mentioned above, then consider using post-processing photo editing software such as Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC/Adobe. The mentioned software has various other programs for tweaking levels/gradients, etcetera, while also sharpening/denoising any problem areas allowing you more creative control over colour/highlights/shadows produced in each image.
- Choose the right camera gear: Camera gear plays a significant role in photographing architecture. Choose a camera and lens that provide the ideal wide-angle vantage point while avoiding distortion that can distort the building’s height or length ratio. We recommend using full-frame DSLR cameras with ultra-wide-angle lenses.
- Plan your shots: Before starting to shoot, take some time and assess the structure’s environment and elements around it. Get ideas for how you want to photograph each individual building and which elements of design should be emphasized.
- Highlight textures: Textures in architecture give buildings depth by creating texture contrasts between surrounding areas/corners. Additionally, the dilapidated spots on walls or brickwork can all add character found within most structures. Using professional photographers can help in depicting these designs on photos clearly and can be later used in future designs for any project.
- Photograph interiors: Don’t forget about interior design as well! It’s important to capture an accurate picture of how a space looks inside. This way, potential clients have an idea of what they will see while exploring the structure during their first visit/touring experience. After becoming familiar via photographs taken beforehand either online or other forms of marketing collateral distributed separately involved in promoting businesses built from/shaped by architecture-related works.
- Shoot videos as well: Video content is becoming increasingly popular among social media users nowadays, giving way to useful promotional material designed differently with additional visual storytelling like videos pointed toward the same target audience. Using immersive videos will ensure maximum consumer engagement, which stills cannot do alone.
In case you are interested in leveraging your architectural business in the competitive scenario, it is highly recommended to hire a professional photographer. We have provided some tips and tricks to take good photographs for building brand awareness. However, it is always advisable to keep some tasks for professionals. So hire a good photographer for your architectural business and witness your company reach new heights of success!