Since the invention of the shipping container by Malcolm McLean in 1956, world transportation and storage have become much safer and more efficient. However, with how many types of shipping containers exist, along with their features and uses, it can be hard to know which one you need. Here’s a quick guide to choosing the best shipping container for your needs to help you with your storage and shipping demands!
Know What You Need It For
The first step to choosing a shipping container is to know what you need it for. The most common uses for storage containers include home construction, retail storefronts, and, most obviously, storage. However, there are a few other structures that a shipping container can be used to build, such as:
- Swimming pools
Because shipping containers come in so many shapes, sizes, and uses, they’re quickly becoming a trend in modern architecture.
Decide on the Type of Container
After deciding what you need a shipping container for, you’ll need to know which type of container will best suit that need. Here are a few different container types you should be aware of:
- Ventilated containers: These shipping containers are airtight but feature specific spaces to allow for airflow or to attach an air conditioner.
- Insulated containers: This type of container is designed to keep things at a specific temperature and is best used for food storage or other temperature-sensitive products.
- Hardtops and open-tops: A hardtop container features a reinforced roof that makes it ideal for stacking, while an open-top container lacks roofing, making them great for quick pool construction.
Figure Out the Logistics
Now that you know what you need, you should cross-reference the logistics of your space with the type of container you’ve chosen. There are a few questions you should ask yourself before making your final purchase.
- What are the building codes in your area?
- Where will you put the storage container on the property?
- How big do you need it to be?
- Can you inspect the container before purchase to ensure its condition?
Once you’ve answered these questions, you can go ahead and make your purchase!
With this information, choosing the right shipping container for your needs is a breeze! There’s nothing stopping you from becoming a shipping container expert, so get a quote today and shop without worry.