A kitchen without a bar stool is not a kitchen at all. Over time bar stools have become more and more popular, and some would even say that bar stools have become a compulsory addition to the household. They allow the whole family to gather in the kitchen, without the inconvenience of having to stand up, which really leads to more engaging conversation.
So, what are the new additions in the world of bar stools?
According to Lee Honigsfeld, the vice president of pastel furniture, there is a whole new world for the people looking at bar stools. Before we can look at the exciting new world, we first need to understand what a bar stool actually is and what they are used for.
Bar stools are most commonly found at the counter of a bar or restaurant, however, in recent years they have also found a place in kitchens, usually turning a work surface into a breakfast counter.
What is the correct height for a bar stool?
For starters, let’s have a look at the basic height of a bar stool. Counter stools have been designed to function nicely with kitchen tops, which usually stand around 36 inches, so anywhere in the range of 24 – 26 inches is ideal.
If you can’t decide on a specific height for your stool, or if you will be using it in various locations, you could always pick up a height-adjustable bar stool. This means that people can easily change the height with a lever on the side, which is especially helpful if you are particularly small or tall.
What are bar stools made out of?
Just like any product you buy, bar stools come in a wide variety of designs, colors, and materials. If you are on a tight budget then you may decide to pick up a plastic stool, but if you are looking for a high-quality stool then you may want to go for something stronger, like wood or metal.
If you want a better understanding of the materials that are on offer then you can see the list below:
1. Lucite: This transparent plastic, which is normally made out of polymethyl methacrylate. It is amongst the most common materials used for making bar stools. Lucite is also widely used in making plastic jewelry. It is a good material for making a bar stool out of because of its transparent nature and its solid tensile strength.
2. Wood: Possibly the most common material in bar stools is very hard rubber wood, which is primarily used for its durability. As we go up the price scale there are also lots of costly bar stools that are made out of teak wood, as well as bamboo or gain. These wooden stools can provide you with a traditional look in your kitchen, and I am the proud owner of a teak stool myself!
3. Metal: Metal bar stools are pretty common, and they are extremely popular when it comes to contemporary style and outdoor use. The wrought-iron bar stools are some of the most weather-resistant stools and they are extremely safe to be used in the outdoors. Going with a heavy duty material like this can increase your bar stool’s lifespan massively.
4. Plastic: For most people with a limited budget and an eye for contemporary design, plastic bar stools are ideal. They are extremely durable, and also available in a wide range of colors. Due to their incredibly cheap cost most people tend to stick with plastic stools.
5. Upholstery: Most stylish bar stools come with upholstery. The upholstered stools are normally made out of leather, linen or faux suede. These are excellent in order to add a touch of class as well as sophistication to the entire room, as well as creating a very inviting and homely atmosphere.
6. Recycled products: There are various bar stools that are made out of recycled material like wood, aluminum etc. These are amongst the latest trends and are definitely eco-friendly. Having a bar stool made out of reclaimed materials is considered rather trendy and we must say, they look fantastic.
How will you use your bar stool?
When it comes to actually using your bar stool(s), there are two main routes that you can go down:
1. Commercial: Commercial bars stools are designed to handle a lot of weight, and are normally associated with restaurants and bars. They are also to be found in other public spaces, and made out of commercial grade materials like wrought iron. Purchasing them in bulk will definitely lead to a lot of discount on the overall purchase amount.
2. Residential: As homes, and specifically kitchens, have become more and more modern in recent times there has been a noticeable increase in the people purchasing bar stools for residential purposes. According to Overstock.com, demand for residential bar stools has risen by over 25% since the beginning of 2016, which is staggering
So, what are the deciding factors for choosing a bar stool?
According to wayfair.com, there are a few important things that you need to keep in mind when choosing a bar stool, such as:
1. Budget – Are you looking for something elegant or does it just need to get the job done?
2. Brand – Do you mind about where it comes from?
3. Durability – How much will you be using the stool?
4. Extensive comparison – Which one is better? Why is it better? What could be improved?
To conclude, we have learnt what bar stools actually are, what they are used for, how tall they should be, as well as what materials they can be made for. We hope you found this buying guide helpful and make sure to keep our checklist in mind when buying a bar stool!