Cycling is a thing of the past and recumbent trikes are taking over the leisure scene. They are small, three-wheeled, human-powered vehicles that give you the same thrill that you may experience in a racing car, while also giving you a good workout at the same time.
They have become incredibly popular amongst adrenaline-addicted fitness fanatics over the past years and after a few sessions on one ourselves, we were hooked. Since our first experience on one jack in January, we have tested out a range of recumbent trikes, and have really gotten into the sport.
There is a range of things that you can look for in a trike, such as its intended use. For example, was it they designed for serious off-roading, or is it simply meant to be used around the city and through your local neighborhood? You also need to consider how heavy they are and this is the one thing that most people overlook. If you are whizzing down trials at thirty miles an hour then you obviously want a strong-yet-light frame, just like if you are travelling to work on one then you don’t want to have to carry a massive trike up a flight of stairs.
After trying out all of these different trikes, we thought “Why not write some Recumbent Trike reviews?” and that is exactly what we have done. We summarised what are, in our honest opinion, the four best trikes on the market at the moment, which we hope will help you to decide on the best trike for you!
Best Recumbent Trike Under $500 – Mobo Triton Pro -The Ultimate Three Wheeled Cruiser (Adult)
When it comes to self-powered transport, you really can’t get cooler than this. With the wind between your hair and your center of mass close to the floor, it’s easy to imagine yourself at the wheel of a Formula One car!
- Using the Triton’s unique steering mechanism, you will feel the benefits towards your health within a matter of days. You can go from a laid-back, casual ride in the park to a full-on, downhill race with your friends, which dramatically improves your cardiovascular functions and overall fitness levels, helping to keep you fit and healthy.
- The trike features an adjustable frame that accommodates for people of all shapes and sizes, meaning that you can grow into your trike over time, and you don’t have to keep upgrading, which can be a great hassle on something like a pushbike.
- Because of the recumbent trike’s streamlined design, it is incredibly stable at high speeds, and the thrill is simply amazing.
If you would like to try out trike riding with your friends, but don’t have the money to invest in one of the more expensive options out there, then this is ideal. For the price it is actually rather well built, ensuring your safety once you reach higher speeds.
Overall this is one of the best beginner’s trikes out there and you get a hell-of-a-lot for your money. The seating position allows you to reach high speeds safely and because you are seated so low to the ground, you feel like you are about to take off –It really is a special experience that one cannot understand without trying it.
See more of the Mobo Triton Pro:
KMX Cobra – Currently Out Of Stock
KMX is a well-known name in the trike industry, and they produce some incredibly high-end cycles that are ideal for the more experienced rider. They have a range of recumbent trikes, however, the all-terrain Cobra is by far our favorite.
- With an alternate layout to that of the Mobo Triton, the KMX Cobra is ideal for traveling across rugged terrain. The two wheels at the front help to absorb most of the sick from going over rocks and bumps, as well as stabilizing the trike, which allows you to reach some impressive speeds on even the most treacherous of ground.
- The semi-modular construction allows you to replace any parts that you may break along your adrenaline-fuelled adventures, as well as upgrade them to better, lighter, stronger parts in the future if you see fit. You even have the option to turn this into a proper ATV and attach a motor, however, that’s another different beast completely.
- The frame is incredibly strong and durable, ensuring that you will always stay above the ground and the fantastic disk-breaks mean that you should never find yourself flying into things uncontrollably.
As I’m sure you have gathered from the points above, this is a beat of a trike! It takes to the rocky terrain like a duck takes to water and you can rest assured that it will get you from point A to point B as fast as possible, with as much fun as possible. Although the KMX Cobra is built with off-roading in mind, it still functions great for normal use, and it’s a great workout device if you chose to use it like that.
Overall this beat of a Trike, by KMX, is simply a joy to ride and you will feel ten years younger after using it a few times. It is ideal for people who love riding smaller trikes but want more control about where they can venture to, which really opens up a lot of doors for you, in terms of what experience you get out of your trike.
See more of the KMX Cobra here
Best Recumbent Trike For Children/Teenagers – Mobo Shift – The World’s First Reversible Three Wheeled Cruiser (Adult)
If you prefer to keep your triking adventures closer to home, and on flat ground, then the Mobo Shift is the best recumbent trike for you. It is definitely more of a “cruiser” trike, making it great for children exploring their neighborhood, or family races around the park,
- The Mobo Shift is incredibly unique, because of its reverse-gear function. It is the very first of its kind in the triking world and it allows you to easily back out of tricky spots and tight corners, saving you from having to embarrassingly get up, out of your trike, and reposition it manually.
- The layout (with the two wheels at the back and one at the front) is similar to the one that we saw on the Triton pro earlier, and it is ideal for chilled out riding on smooth surfaces. Helping to keep the weight at the back, this is by far the best design for flat ground, and it allows you to reach high speeds and still be stable.
Not everyone wants to be whizzing around the woods going over jumps and through streams, which is why the Shift is incredibly popular amongst the community. The ergonomic design, with an adjustable backrest, further adds to the leisure side of this trike and the black-on-white color scheme will blend in well amongst urban surroundings.
As we have mentioned already, this is more of a fun-and-games trike, which is why it is ideal for children looking for a fun and safe pastime. It is not the cheapest of trikes out there, however, it is certainly towards the lower end of the spectrum, making it ideal for newcomers to the sport.
See more of the Mobo Shift here